Thursday, August 31, 2006

Teaching Philosophy/ In a Nutshell & In an Essay

Since starting my teaching career I have discovered some key elements that keep my classroom running smoothly on a day-to-day basis. That list or my "Philosophy in a Nutshell" is what follows:

1. Keep it real (be yourself)
2. Keep it fair and be firm (consistent)
3. Keep it positive
4. Keep it simple (clear directions)
5. Repetition is the mother of all skill.
6. Keep it fresh (switch it up)
7. Be realistic but expect great things.
8. We can learn from one another.
9. Respect one another "There is no such thing as "I was just joking" in our classroom. 10.Teachers make mistakes too
11. Keep charging after all your goals and dreams.

Teaching Philosophy (Essay form)

Peering through the window of my foreign language classroom one will see a fun, lively and expressive scene. The observer will be witness to children laughing, singing and conversing in a second language, both with me and with one another. At every opportunity I will model tolerance for others and a positive, can do attitude. Also, I will do everything in my power to aid my students as they pursue new learning and ensure that all students have access to the tools for success.

The foundation of my teaching philosophy is rooted in my life experience thus far. Three beliefs are especially important to me: first, that all children can learn, second that understanding foreign language and culture is important; and third that in order to become an expert teacher one must always remain a learner her or himself. My goals are to set a good example for students, provide a comfortable atmosphere in which my students can learn, provide students with academic/life coping skills, and to be an actively involved and supportive member of the faculty at the school in which I become employed.

Setting a good example for students is an important and sometimes overlooked aspect of education. By dressing well, maintaining a fair and even demeanor, and modeling appropriate body language and acceptable behavior, I will provide the best example I can. At the same time I realize that both my students and I are human. So together with my students, their parents and faculty, I will seek to correct problems in a timely and professional manner.

Essential to being effective in the classroom is providing a comfortable atmosphere in which to learn. Learners must be motivated, self-confident and have a low level of anxiety. I feel that comprehensible input is essential in language acquisition so I will check for understanding frequently with all students so as to avoid frustrating my students. At the same time with varied instruction I hope to meet all my students learning styles while at the same time giving students opportunities to go beyond their comfort zones and learn.

My belief that all children can learn was won on the front lines. While working with the developmentally disabled in both school and home environments, I gained invaluable experience about teaching and dealing effectively with learning and behavioral challenges. I saw, first hand children facing what seemed to be monumental disabilities make progress and learn. Also, for two years I assisted with the development and implementation of a program for emotionally challenged children at a middle school. Altogether, I bring ten years of such one on one experience with me to my teaching. Can all children learn? Suffice it to say one would have a difficult time trying to convince me otherwise.

Another element I have recognized as important to teaching is staying informed about the societal pressures and the individual circumstances that effect students' lives. Keeping in touch with parents, counselors, and other faculty I have found is essential in understanding where your students are at and helping them to continue learning. My experience as a peer counselor in high school and a one on one aide with emotionally challenged and developmentally disabled students have educated me as to when to direct students to professional help.

As the last paragraph indicated, communication is key in education. It is also very important to make students aware of academic and behavioral expectations and objectives in the classroom. By periodically discussing objectives on the students level I hope to help them focus and progress in their proficiency in German. As potential problems arise for students again I will strive to leave the lines of communication between parents, teacher and administration open so as to serve the students in the best way possible.

Lifetime learning is the third mainstay in my teaching philosophy. The importance of continued learning has also evidenced itself in my life. My experiences as an exchange student, a student senator in community college, working in special education and my re-entry into formal education as an adult have all spawned a great love and respect for the art of learning. Additionally, over time I developed better strategies for learning and have been able to improve my academic performance. In fact, both on the job and in school I find myself excited about seminars and special learning opportunities. I feel it is important to be a life long learner so that one can be aware of the best methods and latest research supporting them. This knowledge allows a teacher to constantly evaluate practice and tweak and adjust technique where necessary. Not to mention being a life long learner sets a good example for one's students.

Overall I will do my best to keep instruction exciting and interesting for both my students and myself. Certainly at this stage in my teaching career I don't know everything but I will continue to learn. Ultimately, I want students to come away from my classroom with positive thoughts about the class, and foreign languages and cultures. Above all I hope they become proficient in the language and have pride in themselves because of it.